Search This Blog

Change

Nothing is constant, everything changes.
and tomorrow, a very significant change will happen. A change that will determine the future of the publication.

Another year has passed and a lot of things have happened which tested the publications resolve. We had been berated with criticisms and that is with a reason. In a way, we have failed in our duty to be the voice of the students. We did not reach our usual number of issues. When we used to have 30 plus issues, now we did not even reach 15.

I will not rationalize on the reasons and I will not even try to defend the publication because this is not the purpose of this post.

Tomorrow, is the Editorial Board Election and a new set of leaders will be chosen by the staff. Then a new year will begin.

I don't know what to expect and I don't even want to expect.
For weeks now I had been thinking about the election and I am, to be honest about it, scared. I am not concerned about my position because the staff can choose whoever they want to take my place and it will not affect me at all. I wouldn't care less if I would have to leave my position.

What I am most worried about is that, I can't see anybody who is responsible enough to lead the publication. For the one year that I had become their editor, I think I am in the position to assess them.

They are good writers. That, I am confident. But the problem is that, they have the habit of lapsing into a mild case of irresponsibility. Sometimes, they tend to forget about their duties in the publication. They also have the habit of making excuses, very lame excuses. they don't observe deadlines, they don't follow rules, and they don't care if you give them a warning.

Are they prepared to lead the publication?

Leading the publication is different from leading a regular student organization. Leading the publication is different from leading a group in a class project.

When you are an editor, you are an editor 24 hours a day/7 days a week. You have to be on call 24/7 and be ready even if you are not yet ready. You don't cease to be an editor even when you are on break. You have to be willing to sacrifice a lot of things, even those things you don't want to sacrifice.

But if they refuse to do the simple tasks that they are told to do, if they are already irresponsible with the small things, will they be responsible enough to take their places and lead the publication? I hope so.

Even if the present editorial board will remain, even if nobody will graduate or leave, sooner or later they will have to lead the publication. We will not be here forever and whether they like it or not they have to be prepared when the time comes.

We were not prepared when we assumed our positions. We were not prepared when we were chosen to lead. Now, it's their time. With all the problems the publication is facing now, we need not only good leaders but responsible and brave ones. Brave enough to face the storms of the coming year.

So, help us God.

Free Signature Generator

Free Signature Generator


No comments:

Post a Comment

According to them...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin